Dr. Margaret Fitzpatrick, S.C.
A dedicated educator and visionary, Dr. Fitzpatrick has devoted her career to improving the educational system to keep pace with rapidly changing times. She serves as the chief executive officer, leading the College in strategic planning and assessment, and advancing institutional internal and external relations. She also imparts her knowledge on our students as an adjunct professor in education and mathematics.
Dr. Fitzpatrick came to the Sparkill campus in 1995, from St. John's University, where she served as Senior Vice President of the 18,000-student multi-campus institution. She spent fourteen years at St. John's, where she played an integral role in the life of the campus and was a key decision-maker in the University's leadership, helping to shape its programs, goals and progress.
After receiving her B.S. in Mathematics from Boston State College, Dr. Fitzpatrick went on to Fordham University, where she earned her M.A.. She went on to Columbia University, where she earned an Ed.M. in the area of counseling and student development. She earned her Ed.D. in higher education from Columbia University where her dissertation, “Orientation for Social Responsibility,” explored the role of higher education to serve society and how students can be engaged in fulfilling this societal responsibility.
Her dedication to community and educational development is evidenced by her board level involvement in several organizations:
- Board of Ethics, Town of Orangetown, New York
- Camp Venture, Board of Directors
- CJ Foundation for SIDS, Board of Directors
- DePaul University, Member of the Board of Trustees
- Dominican Higher Education Council, Member
- Holy Cross High school, Board of Directors
- Ridgewood Savings Bank, Board of Directors
- St. John's Bread and Life Program, Inc., Board of Directors
- St. John's University, Board of Trustees
Previous board and special committee involvement includes:
American Council on Education, American Counseling Association, Association of Catholic Colleges and Universities, Association for Humanistic Education and Development , Bergen Catholic High School,
Commission of Independent Colleges and Universities, Governor’s Task Force on Intergroup Affairs, Independent College Fund of New York, National Collegiate Athletic Association, New York State Association for Counseling and Development, Network, Nyack Hospital Foundation, Sisters of Charity Financial/Advancement Advisory Boards, United Way of Rockland.
Dr. Fitzpatrick’s dedication and innovation has been recognized by national and regional organizations. She is the recipient of the following awards:
- Named "Woman of the Year" by the Rockland Business Women's Network, 2013
- Award of Distinction from the Rockland Economic Development Council, 2012
- Awarded Honorary Doctor of Humane Letters degree from Le Moyne College, 2012
- Named "Woman of the Year" by the Rockland Business & Professional Women's Club, 2005
- Johnnie's Angel Award from St. John's Bread & Life Program, 2004
- Elizabeth Seton Award from the Sisters of Charity, Halifax, 2003
- Literacy Award from the International Reading Association, 2002
- Leadership Award from the Institute for Applied Human Dynamics, 2001
- Distinguished Alumni Award, Teachers College, Columbia University, 2000
- Awarded Honorary Doctor of Humane Letters degree from St. John's University, 2000
- Annual Award from Venture, Inc., 2000
- Girl Scouts of Rockland "Leadership Award", 1998
- President's Medal from St. John's University, New York, 1995
- Trailblazer award from the New York State Education Dept., 1994
- Named "Catholic Woman of the Year" by the magazine U.S. Catholic, 1991