FAQs for Students

What is considered a disability?
As defined by the Americans with Disabilities Act and Section 504 of the Rehabilitation Act of 1973, a disability is a mental, physical, or psychological impairment which substantially limits one or more major life activities.

What are accommodations?
Accommodations are adjustments to policy, practice, and programs that “level the playing field” for students with disabilities and ensure equal access to St. Thomas Aquinas College’s programs and activities. This adjustment must be made without altering the fundamental requirements of the course, lowering the standards in the class, or causing an undue administrative or financial burden on the college.

 had an IEP or 504 Plan in high school. Does that transfer to college?
No.  IEP’s and 504 Plans expire once the student graduates from or exits high school. Students with disabilities may be eligible for accommodations in college, but they must first register with Disability Services and initiate the accommodation request process. It’s important to note that some of the accommodations that a student received through an IEP or 504 plan may not be appropriate at the college level.  

What is the best way to contact Disability Services at STAC to initiate the disability accommodation request process?
The student should contact Anne Schlinck, Director - Disability Services via email at
[email protected] or by phone at 845-398-4087.  

What documentation will I need to provide? 
In order to complete the registration process, you must submit appropriate (within the last 3 years), current documentation related to your disability from a qualified professional. Documentation, which must indicate that the individual has an impairment that substantially limits a major life activity, must reflect the following:

We may review your IEP, but we may need to review the psychological-educational testing reports that were used to create the IEP, or current documentation from a treating medical provider. 
As part of the disability accommodation request process, the student will need to participate in an interactive intake meeting with Disability Services staff.  

Once the interactive intake meeting occurs, a completed Request for Disability Accommodation form is submitted, and all documentation is provided to Disability Services, the students accommodation file will then be reviewed and reasonable accommodations will be determined.  The student will be notified by mail and/or email with further instructions. 

Does St. Thomas Aquinas College cover the cost for evaluations of a disability?
No. It is the student’s responsibility to provide verification of a disability and to pay for evaluations of such disability.

What role do my parents play in the process?
If you are 18 years or older, you are legally recognized as an adult. You will be responsible for your own accommodation requests and disability related decisions. Parents are a wonderful source of support and students are encouraged to have open communication with their parents or other significant family members. 

What is the difference between Disability Services and the Pathways Program?
In compliance with Section 504 of the Federal Rehabilitation Act of 1973 and the Americans with Disabilities Act, Disability Services provides reasonable accommodations for qualified students with learning, physical, medical and psychological disabilities. Disability Services is not a program or source of special education services that students may have received during their K-12 years. It’s important to understand that there is no special education in college. Students with disability accommodations are expected to meet the same course requirements as their peers without disability accommodations.  

The Pathways Program is a service that provides eligible students with enhanced support such as one-on-one mentoring, personalized academic coaching, and priority registration at an additional fee above the cost of tuition. Please understand that the Pathways Program is not a source of special education, as there is no special education at the college level. Please visit the Pathways Program for more information.

Where is Disability Services located?
Disability Services is located in Spellman Hall, Room 109, first door on the right. We are open Monday - Thursday from 8:30am - 4:30pm, and Fridays 9:00am - 4:00pm. 

If I have questions about disability accommodations at STAC, who can I contact? 

Ms. Anne Schlinck
Director, Disability Services
[email protected]

Mr. Dustin Horvath
Assistant Director, Disability Services and Director, Pathways 
[email protected]

Ms. Jen Mitru
Office Assistant, Disability Services