There is a separate application process for the School of Education for both the MST and MSEd. Programs. Please see requirements below. For more information, contact the Office of Admissions at 845-398-4100.
MSED APPLICATION PROCESS TO SCHOOL OF EDUCATION
Admission to the Masters of Science in Education (MSEd) and Post Masters programs requirements include:
- A completed application form and a non-refundable application fee.
- A baccalaureate degree from an accredited institution verifying the completion of a liberal arts major or 30 credit concentration in an academic area of the New York State learning standards and that meets the standards of a particular specialized professional association (e.g. NCSS, NCTE, NCTM, NSTA).
- Official copies of transcripts from all institutions of higher education attended.
- A copy of teaching certificate
- An overall GPA of 3.0 or higher
- Submission of three references
- An interview with the Director of Graduate Education.
PROGRESSION THROUGH THE MSED PROGRAM
Candidates are required to:
- Maintain the required level of academic performance: a minimum GPA of 3.0.
- Candidates' performance in the MSEd program can apply for matriculation after completing twelve credits. For more information please contact the Graduate Education Office 845-398 4150.
- Candidates can apply for the practicum in the spring semester prior to graduation.
Additional Note for Post Masters Certificate Programs:
- Applicants to the Post Masters certificate program need only to submit an official transcript from the institution that granted the master’s degree.
MST APPLICATION PROCESS TO SCHOOL OF EDUCATION
Admission to the initial post-baccalaureate level (MST) teacher education programs requires:
- A baccalaureate degree from an accredited institution verifying the completion of a liberal arts major or 30 credit concentration in an academic area of the New York State learning standards and that meets the standards of a particular specialized professional association (e.g. NCSS, NCTE, NCTM, NSTA)
- An overall GPA of 3.0 or higher
- Submission of three professional references
- Interview with the Coordinator of the MST program which includes the submission of a supervised writing sample
- A 1-2 page professional goals statement indicating professional goals and reason for undertaking graduate study in education
PROGRESSION THROUGH THE MST PROGRAM
Candidates' performance in the MST program is reviewed at the end of the first fall semester when they apply for matriculation. To continue in the MST program, candidates must:
- Apply for matriculation after completing nine credits
- Maintain the required level of academic performance: A minimum GPA of 3.0.
By the end of the first fall semester:
- Submit two copies of the application for admission to student teaching.
By the end of the spring semester candidates must:
- Submit an academic reference from a teacher education faculty member
- Apply for fingerprint clearance
- Register for certification on the NYSED TEACH website.
The Coordinator of MST programs reviews the application for matriculation. Candidates who fail to meet the requirements are notified in writing by the Director of Graduate Education who schedules an interview for the candidate with the Candidate Review Committee. The purpose of the interview is to assist the candidate in developing realistic goals and plans. Candidates are notified in writing of the outcome of the interview.