To be eligible for the Pathways Program, a student must first be accepted into St. Thomas Aquinas College. The student should submit a College Application to STAC and a Pathways Application to Pathways at the same time. There is no application fee for Pathways.
The Pathways Application and Other Materials
The student should fill out the Pathways Application in its entirety and submit it to the Pathways office. In addition to the Pathways Application, a student must submit the following:
- High school transcripts.
- One letter of recommendation from a high school teacher (if the student is a transfer, the student may send a college professor’s recommendation.)
- A classified student must send the latest copy of his or her Individual Education Plan (IEP). Classification is not necessary for Pathways.
A comprehensive diagnostic assessment must indicate a learning disability and/or attention deficit disorder.
The assessment must have been administered within the last three years by a certified professional within a school system or state-approved agency or by a state-approved certified psychologist or psychiatrist. The actual psychological and educational reports must be submitted.
Neither the scores nor statements on the IEP or Section 504 letters are sufficient.
The documentation must include:
- Measures of cognitive processes, including an adult intelligence test (WAIS-IV preferred). It must indicate average intelligence or higher.
- Measures of achievement; including reading, written language, and mathematics.
- If indicated, measures of receptive and expressive language.
- If indicated, screening for attentional difficulties.
- Identification and description of the specific learning disability and attention deficit disorder as the primary handicapping condition.
- Identification of strengths and weaknesses based on test results and observations.
- Specific effects of the learning disability on the student’s current academic performance.
- Suggested academic accommodations and modifications for college.
It is important to recognize that postsecondary accommodations may vary by law from those offered at the secondary level. Pathways and College staff will determine which accommodations and modifications are appropriate for college, based upon submitted test results.
Once St. Thomas Aquinas College accepts a student into the school, Pathways will review the student’s Pathways application and other application materials.
If the student is eligible for admission to Pathways, a personal interview will be scheduled. We typically schedule interviews from January through March. Within a week of the interview, a decision about the student’s admission to Pathways will be sent by mail.
If you have questions about Pathways admissions, please contact the Pathways office:
Spellman Hall, Ground Floor