Veteran Financial Aid

St. Thomas Aquinas College | Military Friendly School

Yellow Ribbon Program

Through the Yellow Ribbon Program, colleges and universities enter into a voluntary agreement with the Veterans Administration to cover the cost of tuition and fees in excess of the amounts payable under the Post-9/11 Veterans Educational Assistance Act of 2008. St Thomas Aquinas College is proud of our commitment to partner with the men and women of the U.S. Armed Forces in providing scholarship and financial assistance to meet their educational goals.

The FA Liaison works closely with the School Certifying Official (SCO) and St. Thomas Aquinas College’s Business Office to ensure an exceptional level of customer service in support of awarding and processing all available funding, for example, Yellow Ribbon Recipients, along with the programs listed below.

New York State Programs


The Military Service Recognition Scholarship (MSRS) provides financial aid to children, spouses, and financial dependents of members of the armed forces of the United States or state organized militia who, at any time on or after August 2nd, 1990, while New York State residents, died or became severely and permanently disabled while engaged in hostilities or training for hostilities.


Regents Awards for Children of Deceased and Disabled Veterans were created to provide financial aid to students whose parent(s) served in the U.S. Armed Forces during specified times of national emergency. Students whose parent(s) served in the U.S. Armed Forces during specified periods of war or national emergency and, as a result of service, either died, suffered a 40% or more disability, was classified as missing in action or was a prisoner of war. The veteran must currently be a New York State resident or have been a New York State resident at the time of death. The award is for $450. For more information click here for the HESC Website information.


Veterans Tuition Awards (VTA) are awarded full-time study and part-time study for eligible veterans matriculated in an approved program at an undergraduate or graduate degree-granting institution or in an approved vocational training program in New York State. Students previously approved for this award must apply for payment each year. Those students who are attending an approved undergraduate or graduate program may apply for payment for the current academic year by completing the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) and then linking to the TAP on the web application.

For more information got to hesc.ny.gov.