Your Financial Aid Check List
□ File your 2019-20 FAFSA Application @ www.fafsa.gov by February 15th. We strongly recommend you use the Data Retrieval Tool to directly import your financial information into the application. Make sure both parent and student e-signatures are included. The school code for St. Thomas Aquinas College is 002832. If you have any problems completing the FAFSA application please call 1-800-433-3243.
□ Review your Financial Aid Award Letter on Banner Self Service. Carefully review your Financial Aid on-line at Banner Self Serve and then simply accept or decline the loans which make financial sense for you and your family. (All grants and institutional aid will already be shown as accepted)
□ If you accepted either a Subsidized or Unsubsidized Stafford loan, the following steps need to be completed after June 15th in order to process your accepted loan:
1. Go to www.studentloans.gov and sign in with a student FAFSA ID.
2. Click on the “Complete Loan Counseling". The federal government requires of you to do this one time during your attendance at St. Thomas Aquinas College (this process will take approximately 25 minutes).
-If you are transfer student, please choose the option to “View Previously Completed Counseling” after you click on the previous button and add St. Thomas Aquinas College - #002832 to the record.
3. E-sign a Master Promissory Note by clicking on “Complete Loan Agreement (Master Promissory Note)”. The student will need to provide their personal information as well as two references. Review and “click thru” the sections and complete the e-signature.
□ If you accepted a PLUS loan the following steps need to be completed after July 1st in order to process your accepted loan:
1. A parent needs to go to www.studentloans.gov and sign in with a parent FAFSA ID.
2. Choose "Apply for a Direct PLUS Loan". Then click on “Direct PLUS Loan Application for Parents”, START, and complete the electronic application. When completing the application please check 'max loan amount'. This will automatically link with the amount offered on your award notice. The start date is 09/2019 and the end date is 05/2020. If the loan is denied, you will receive a letter from the Financial Aid Office outlining your options. You can also call (845)398-4097 for immediate assistance.
3. E-sign a Master Promissory Note by clicking on “Complete Loan Agreement (Master Promissory Note)”. The parent will need to provide their personal information as well as two references. Review and “click thru” the sections and complete the e-signature.
If you have any problems completing your loan requirements on line, please call the Dept of Ed at 1-800-557-7394
□ If you are a New York State resident you may be eligible for free grant money from New York State. You must file a TAP application on-line at www.HESC.ny.gov . The school code for St. Thomas Aquinas College is 0830. If you have any problems completing your TAP application on line, please call NYS at 1-888-697-4372.